Compliments, Complaints and Appeals

We welcome your compliments and complaints so that we can use them to improve our services and make them more effective for our clients. This information sheet explains how you can provide us with feedback of your experience with our organisation and also how to appeal a decision made by Alliance Housing WA.

Are we doing a good job?

We exist to enrich the lives of our tenants and our staff work tirelessly to ensure that those who receive our services are safe, happy and comfortable. If you or your family have received outstanding service from Alliance Housing WA, please let us know so we can acknowledge our staff. Kind words and compliments are always appreciated.

Do we need to improve?

There is always room for improvement and we know mistakes and accidents do occur despite our best intentions. If you have a suggestion on how to do something better or you have an issue that needs to be resolved please speak to us.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the service I have received?

We encourage you to let us know about it. If possible, please raise any concerns directly to your Tenancy Officer. If the issue can’t be resolved this way, we have a formal complaints and appeals process.

When should I use the complaints or appeals process?

• If you are unhappy with the service we have provided you, or if you want to appeal a decision we have made about your tenancy.

• You should start the process as soon as possible by speaking directly to your Tenancy Officer by ringing 0897915438 for assistance.

If you want to progress further.

You can make a complaint or lodge an appeal by:

• Completing a complaint form and mailing it to us at Alliance Housing WA, PO Box 1505, Bunbury WA, 6231.

• Emailing your complaint or appeal to

• Lodging a complaint or appeal via our website

Do you need help making a complaint or an appeal?

If you cannot make the complaint or appeal yourself, please ask a friend, carer or other advocate to help you. Our complaints procedure is also open to those acting on your behalf. This may be an Advocate, MP or Citizens Advice Bureau.

How does the complaints process work?

In the first instance, a Tenancy Officer will speak to the tenant to see if the matter can be resolved. If the tenant remains unhappy, they will be offered the opportunity for their complaint to be taken further or they can put their complaint in writing. The complaint will then be recorded by the Tenancy Officer and forwarded to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for investigation. A written response will be sent to the tenant within 10 working days with an outcome and any follow up actions identified.

How does the appeals process work?

In lodging an appeal, tenants are encouraged to provide information on why they believe we have been unreasonable in our decision making and why the decision should be overturned.

Tenants can appeal the following types of decisions:

a) Decisions relating to eligibility for social or affordable housing or housing assistance;

b) Property offers;

c) Property entitlements;

d) Rent assessments;

e) Tenant liability charges.

Decisions that may not be appealable include:

a) Matters currently subject to legal action (where a Termination Notice has been issued);

b) Decisions that are not directly related to the person;

c) Our policies;

d) Internal administrative or funding matters;

e) Matters not relating to our housing services (e.g. tenant participation, support and referral services).

• Only the person affected by a decision can lodge an appeal (or their advocate who has Authority to Act).

• The decision will then be reviewed by a staff member not involved in the original decision.

• The tenant will be notified of the outcome of the appeal in writing with a full explanation of the decision within 10 working days of the lodgement of the appeal.

Making a report.

If you are a tenant and you would like to inform us of an issue or incident at another Alliance Housing WA property, such as anti social behaviour, poor property standards, a maintenance issue, please speak with your Tenancy Officer or contact our office on 0897915438.

If you are a member of the public and would like to inform us of an issue or incident at one of the Alliance Housing WA properties, please contact our office on 0897915438 or complete a Feedback form and send it to our office. The Tenancy Officer for that property will contact you within two working days of receiving the report.

Additional and Appeal.

Should tenants remain unhappy with the outcome of a complaint or an appeal, see below information on advocacy and support agencies that can assist you further.

Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety

2/140 William St, Perth

1300 304 054

Equal Opportunity Commission

Level 1, Albert Facey House, 469 Wellington St, Perth

08 9216 3900

Tenant Advice Service

2/18 Plain St, East Perth

1800 621 888

Legal Aid WA

61 Victoria Street, Tower 7th Floor, Bunbury

08 9721 2277

Bunbury Community Legal Centre

14 Plaza St, South Bunbury

08 9791 3206

Advocacy South West

4 Plaza Street, South Bunbury

08 9721 644

You can use the feedback form below to send us your compliment, suggestion, complaint or report.